What is a Doula?
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves”. The term is now used to refer to a lay woman (as opposed to a midwife) who enables and empowers the labouring woman (and her birth partner) to chose how and where to birth. The doula can work with the mother-to-be on this either before, during, or after childbirth; or all three.
We, at Duna Life, recognise birth as a sacred and unique yet universal experience that the mother will carry with her for the rest of her life (and those to come).
The birth doula understands the physiology of labour and childbirth, as well as the very unique emotional needs of a labouring woman, and will make sure the conditions for the woman to labour in her own unique way are met. The doula maintains an objective, nurturing, and supportive point of view while also helping the woman obtain information to make informed decisions, facilitate communication between the labouring woman, her partner, and her care providers, and act as an advocate for the woman through the entirety of her childbirth experience.
At Duna certified doulas offer the above services on the basis of self-employment. See below for the list of doulas currently attached to Duna Life.
What does Duna offer?
At Duna we provide doula services and a wide range of related services.
Duna offers you space for and guidance with:
- Preparing for your birth
- Blessingway ceremony (Navajo transition ritual, in this case for motherhood and birth) See also under Celebrant Services.
- Breathing and relaxation exercises
- Belly Mehndi (a henna tattoo)
- Facing your fears and dealing with any issues
- During birth
- After birth (debriefing the birth; mother help)
- Rites of passage (baby blessing, naming ceremony, child to adult, person to parent, adult to wise person) See also under Celebrations.
- Being there for you with whatever you need
- Support with childcare and/or housework
- Closing of the Bones ceremony (See also under Celebrant Services)
How do we work at Duna?
We work guided by Mother Earth and with a natural parenting ethic.
This service however is very much about what you need.
In a connection meeting you tell us your wishes and needs and we will go from there. In this first meeting it is even possible you discover needs and wishes you didn't know you had!
Please fill out our contact form and we will get back to you.
Doula services at Duna Life are provided by:
- Anne-Marie Owen - recognised doula (Doula UK) available for doula services in the UK in and around Bath, Frome, Wells, Bristol and in The Netherlands in Rotterdam/The Hague area. For availability fill out a contact form. I provide down to earth guidance and practical information on and preparation for pregnancy, labour, birth and parenting. Member of Doula UK and Positive Birth Bath network. Also Life Coach and Celebrant for celebrations, transitions and ceremonies. Knowledge of and experience with Mindfulness and meditation, Qi-gong and Tai-Chi, Chi-running and Non-Violent Communication. See for further information the About Duna page.